Sunday, April 12, 2009

Missed Opportunity?

I love softball. Absolutely love it. Part of me always regretted not sticking with it in high school and into college, but the coach at Northeast was a Class A d-bag. But in my head, I always rationalized it by saying that if I had stayed with sports, my grades would have suffered and I wouldn't have got as good of sholarships as I did. I'm not in good shape now, and me not playing anymore definitely has something to do with it. I'm working on getting to a body type I'm comfortable with because I hate the way I look. Today at church, my Dad made some little comment about me not playing anymore, and it made me start thinking about disappointing him. Full ride to school or not, I think he's upset that I don't still play. I hate thinking that he's disappointed in me, but I'm not sure I could balance another ball (no pun intended) with school, work, etc. He said I wasted my talent. Well, it's not like I was gonna play for the Cubs or anything. I just hate the weight of trying to please everyone because things fall off the wagon; I couldn't and can't carry it all for ever. He'll have to be satisfied with me having school paid for and me paying for my own car and expenses.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I felt like I let my dad down when I got out of the Army. I think most children fear letting down their parents, but I think your parents have a lot to be proud of, softball or not.

Jenn said...

Seconding what Sarah said. I've got a long list of things parents dread ever hearing. I think the hardest thing is that parents don't know say "I'm proud of you" when they are, and what you hear is "how could you" when they aren't. It's a balance that I thankfully have a few years to perfect.